The Ministry of Education, Science and Technology is responsible for national policies and programmes that help Kenyans access quality and affordable, school education, post-school, higher education and academic research.
State Department of Post Training
Professor Micheni Japhet Ntiba, PS Universty Eduaction and Research
Professor Micheni Japhet Ntiba is the Principal Secretary, State Department for University Education and Research in Ministry of education. He has a specialization in Fisheries/Marine biology in the broad area of Aquatic Science. He obtained his Certificate of Primary Education, Certificate Secondary Education and East African Advanced Certificate of Education in 1973,1977 and 1979 respectively, before proceeding to the University of Nairobi where he read and qualified with BSc. (Hons), 2nd Class, Upper Division (Botany/Zoology) in 1984.
Thereafter, he obtained his M.Sc.(Hydrobiology) from the University of Nairobi in 1987 (Thesis entitled "the Kenya Reef Fish of the genus) and a Ph.D. in Fisheries Biology from the University of East Anglia, UK in 1990 (Thesis entitled "The Biology and Ecology of the long rough dab". He started his professional career in the University of Nairobi as a Tutorial Fellow in the department of Zoology in1989 and promoted to positions of Lecturer, Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor in1990,1993 and 1997, respectively. He was also the first Executive Secretary, Lake Victoria Fisheries Organization (LVFO), Jinja, Uganda from 1977 to 2002.
He was also chairman, Department of Zoology, University of Nairobi from 2004 to 2008 and the first Director,School of Biological Sciences, University of Nairobi from 2006 to 2008 when he was appointed the first Permanent Secretary Ministry of Fisheries Development. He has supervised many projects and programmes and trained a combined total of 31 students at Masters and Doctor of Philosophy degree levels examined over 40 academic Thesis from various Universities nationally and internationally and contributed over 50 scientific publications.
Administration_State Department of University and Research
The State Department for University Education & Research Comprises of several Units which function togeather. The catogory of these units are as listed belkow:-
1. Main Administration which comprises small Units such as HIV Aids and Gender.
2. Central Planning
3. Human Resource Mangement and Development Unit
4. Information Communication Technology Unit
5. Finace Unit
6. Accounts unit
7. Procurement Unit
8. Internal Audit
All these units work collaboratively in administration in order to achieve its goals.
Directorate of Unuversity Education
Directortae of University Education is one of the most rapidly expanding sub-sectors of the Education sector in Kenya. Demand for university education has continued to increase with many students who are unable to be absorbed in Kenyan Universities seeking admission in institutions of higher learning outside the country. The Directorate of University Education in the Ministry of education, State Department of University and Reserch has taken this challenge in stride. Constituent University colleges and campuses affiliated to universities have been established to expand access to higher education.
Currently we have 31 Chartered public Universities, 6 Constituents Colleges, 18 Chartered private Universities, 6 Private Constituent Colleges and 13 Public/Private Universities with letters of interim Authority. This number is expected to increase with time.
Other efforts in the pipeline for making Kenyan higher education competitive and of high quality standards include:
- Restructuring and strengthening of the Commission for Higher Education (CUE) and Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Establishment of an Open University of Kenya.
- Improvement of governance in public universities.
Functions of the Directorate of Higher Education
- Formulation and review of policies on Higher Education in collaboration with Commission for Higher Education (CHE), Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) and other relevant institutions and departments.
- Co-ordination of plans and budgets from public universities in collaboration with CHE and other departments.
- Initiation, promotion and implementation of Cultural, Technical and Scientific cooperation with other countries in liaison with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Administration of scholarships offered by friendly countries.
- Coordination of matters related to local and overseas universities education.
- Disbursement of grants and bursaries to local and overseas university as well as regional and international institutions and organization that are linked to the Ministry of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
- Joint formulation and implementation of policies on East Africa Community, Inter-University
- Council of East Africa (IUCEA) and African Institute for Capacity Development (AICAD).
- Coordination of admission to public universities in liaison with Joint Admission Board (JAB).
- Facilitation of appointments of Education Attaches to Kenya Missions in Paris, Moscow,London, Delhi and Washington
- Coordination of Student Exchange Programmes for university students, and clearance of students proceeding for university education overseas.
- Facilitation of acquisition of travel documents for students wishing to travel outside the country for studies.
The Directorate of Higher Education collaborates with Higher Education Loans Board, Commission for Higher Education and Joint Universities Admissions Board in its delivery of service. The three bodies offer the following:
Higher Education Loans Board Products:
- Loans for undergraduate
- Loans postgraduate ( Masters B PhD) studies
- Bursaries for undergraduate studies
- Scholarships for postgraduate studies
Kenya University Central Placement Services(KUCCPS)
- Admissions to public universities
- Commission for Higher Education
- Quality assurance and standards in higher education
- Higher Education policy formulation and review
- Coordination of plans and budgets from public universities
THE NATIONAL EDUCATION SECTOR PLAN (NESP) 2013-2018
The Constitution of Kenya 2010, underscores the provision of quality education and training as a right and a fundamental to the success of the government’s overall development strategies. The goal of Vision 2030 is the development of a middle income economy in which all citizens have enhanced entrepreneurship, innovation and lifelong learning opportunities. To achieve this aspirations, the Ministry of Education (MOE) developed the National Education Sector Plan (NESP) 2013-2018 to guide the development of the education and training sector.
The NESP document highlights the policy goals, objectives, major challenges and proposes strategies and financing options for the realization of such goals and objectives over a period of five years. It is an all-inclusive and sector wide plan with the overarching goal of “quality education for Kenya’s sustainable development”. The emphasis is on all levels of Education and Training with a focus on improvement of Education quality and relevance, access, equity, sector governance and accountability as well as social competencies and values.
NESP is in three volumes. Volume I focuses on Basic Education programme rationale and approach while Volume II provides the Basic Education Operational, Volume III focuses on Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET); Science, Technology and Innovation (ST&I) and University Education. The implementation period of NESP 2013 – 2018 is coming to an end in June 2018. In view of this, the ministry has initiated the process of reviewing the NESP document with a view of aligning the sector priorities to the national aspirations as outlined in MTPIII of the Vision 2030. The proposed plan will cut across the three state departments covering programmes from pre-primary to university.
Anne Gachoya of Directorate of Policy Partnership in the Ministry Education addresses National Education Sector Plan (NESP) Committee during a Technical Capacity Building Workshop at Mash Park Hotel today, 19th December 2016. The workshop was organised by the ministry of education in collaboration with Plan international - Kenya
Members of the National Education Sector Plan (NESP) Committee members pose for a photograph at Mash Park Hotel during the official opening of a three-day Technical Capacity Building Workshop 19th December 2016.
David Watene of State Department of University Education addresses National Education Sector Plan (NESP) Committee during a Technical Capacity Building Workshop at Mash Park Hotel today,19th December 2016.